As a professional hair stylist, I have seen how styling, coloring, and heat can damage hair. While regular trims and deep conditioning treatments can be beneficial, bond rebuilders can make an even bigger difference.
Bond rebuilders are treatments that work to repair the bonds that have been broken down within the hair shaft due to chemical, heat, and environmental stressors. These treatments aid in the strengthening of the hair, the reduction of breakage, and the overall health and appearance of the hair.
Here are three of my preferred bond builders:
- Aveda Botanical Repair is a treatment made from plants that is great for people who want a natural solution. It contains ingredients such as quinoa protein and camellia oil that help restore and strengthen hair bonds. This treatment is gentle and can be used on all hair types.
- K18 Bond Rebuilder is a product of the K18 brand. This bond rebuilder is a little more sophisticated than the others. It employs cutting-edge nanotechnology to deliver a peptide complex to the hair that works to rebuild and strengthen the bonds. It’s ideal for those looking for quick results because it only takes a few minutes to apply.
- Olaplex: This is a salon-only treatment that has revolutionized the hair industry. It’s a three-step system that works to rebuild and strengthen hair bonds. It’s ideal for people who color their hair frequently because it reduces breakage and keeps hair looking healthy.
Hair bond rebuilders have grown in popularity among those looking to repair and strengthen damaged hair. While they provide numerous advantages, it is critical to understand the pros and cons before deciding whether this type of treatment is right for you.
- Hair bond rebuilders can help fix damaged hair by filling in gaps in the hair shaft caused by chemical treatments, heat damage, or mechanical stress. As a result, your hair will be stronger and healthier.
- Reduced Breakage: Bond rebuilders help reduce breakage by repairing damaged hair. This means you can have longer, healthier hair without worrying about breakage.
- Hair bond rebuilders are versatile because they are suitable for all hair types, including color-treated hair. So, they are a good choice for people with damaged hair who don’t want to use harsh chemicals that could hurt the health of their hair.
- Hair bond rebuilders not only repair damaged hair, but they also improve the overall appearance of your hair. After a bond rebuilder treatment, your hair will appear shinier, smoother, and more manageable.
- Cost: Hair bond rebuilders can be expensive, especially if you need to use them on a regular basis. As a result, they are prohibitively expensive for some people.
- Time-consuming: Applying a bond rebuilder can take some time, especially if you have long hair. This may not be appropriate for those with demanding schedules.
- Damage: Hair bond rebuilders are meant to fix damaged hair, but if they aren’t used correctly, they can cause more damage. If you use too much product or use it too frequently, you may experience dryness, breakage, and other damage.
- Availability: Because hair bond rebuilders may not be available in all salons, some people may struggle to find a professional who can perform the treatment. Furthermore, some salons may lack the necessary equipment to provide the treatment, making finding a suitable location even more difficult.
Some bond rebuilders may not work well with certain hair types, textures, or chemical treatments, which could cause more damage if you use them. Before using any new hair product, especially hair bond rebuilders, always perform a patch test and consult with a professional stylist.
Using a hair bond rebuilder once a week on hair that is healthy or only slightly damaged can help keep hair bonds healthy and stop further damage. If your hair has moderate to severe damage, apply a bond rebuilder at least 2-3 times per week. A well-balanced hair care routine, as well as regular deep conditioning treatments, can help to improve the health and appearance of hair.
Finally, for those looking to repair and strengthen damaged hair, hair bond rebuilders can be an excellent choice. However, before deciding whether this type of treatment is right for you, you should weigh the benefits and drawbacks. Hair bond rebuilders should be used on a regular basis, depending on the individual’s hair needs and the specific product used. Follow the product’s instructions and make adjustments as needed to achieve the best results.
If you’re not sure which one is best for you, I recommend speaking with your hair stylist. They will be able to give you advice that is specific to your hair type and needs, and suggest the best treatment for you.